Translate

Thursday, March 08, 2007

A day with Hamish Carter


Today was a very special day indeed. Chantelle was surprised infront of her entire school by a very special guest - Hamish Carter.

You see, last week I was contacted by a rep from Sanitarium foods (the Kiwi Kellogg's) asking how Chantelle was doing after her accident at the Tryathlon. Hayley was very kind to all of us when Channy had her crash - and she told me that she was going to get a signed t-shirt for Chantelle. I wrote back to her and told her that Chantelle was fine and how brave she was - how she didn't cry at all!

Hayley forwarded the email on to Hamish Carter - who asked if he could come to see Chantelle. She was a role model for other kids - she was brave and she didn't let her accident scare her enough to give up.

So today was the day... Hamish flew up from Christchurch just to come to Mount Primary School to surprise Chantelle! (the photo to the right includes my friend Sharyn who came out with me to support Channy) I had been thinking about what I could give Hamish to thank him for taking the time to change the life of a little girl. There were some nice little trinkets... but really, does Hamish need another trinket? Then it occurred to me that the best gift I could give him would be a massage.

I wrote to Hayley with the offer. After I sent the email I realized that they might all think I'm a complete Nutter - a Stalker or something. So I sent an emergency email to my friend back home - Monica's husband Tim. Tim was a regular patient of mine and he is also a Triathlete - he participated in the Worlds in Spain a few years ago. I told Tim of my intentions - and asked him to write a reference letter to Hamish so that he knew I was legitimate.That's Tim with Phil the dog, enjoying the tranquility while on a camping trip in Ontario's Algonquin Park. Tim and Hamish are strikingly similar in both personality AND looks.

Hayley got back to me to say that Hamish had to be in Auckland shortly after the school visit, so there wouldn't be any time for a massage.

While Hamish and I were chatting in the Principal's office before the assembly today I mentioned the whole massage thing - and how I realized that it could have been misunderstood. I mentioned Tim's email and Hamish asked what Tim's last name is... well it just so happens that Hamish remembers Tim very well from the Worlds (you see, they are very similar characters so it's not at all surprising that they became good friends). What a small world! The principal and Chantelle's teacher were floored - who IS this Canadian girl - she knows EVERYONE! (that's Tim and Monica - with the beautiful voice - and their daughter Maia! I hope you don't mind that I'm including you in my blog guys!!! It's such a gorgeous family photo I couldn't resist).



The school assembled outside and I snuck in around the back so that Chantelle and Natalya wouldn't see me. Hamish made his appearance and made a simple speech about doing their best and trying hard... he was so "normal". Just an average guy who just so happens to be an Olympic World Athlete. And then he started to talk about his reason for being there - a very special little girl... and he called Chantelle up to stand beside him.

She was horrified - and in a state of shock and disbelief. She hardly smiled and I could tell by her face that she wished she could just disappear! Chantelle HATES being the centre of attention. But what Hamish did for her will forever change the way she sees herself. He praised her in front of the entire school. Then he called Natalya up too. He had presents for both of them! They each got Weetbix bags full of promotional stuff - wallets, hats, towels, t-shirts (signed by Hamish and the NZ female Triathlete Debbie Tanner). He also gave Chantelle three pairs of Nike running shoes and a brand new bike! It was too much!!

I told Hamish earlier that Channy wouldn't care about the stuff - she doesn't value "things". The greatest gift he would give her would be the gift of confidence and pride in herself. She will never forget this day. He's an amazing person - not because he is an Olympic Athlete - but because he has taken his star and is using it to brighten the paths of children who can't see the light.

THAT is a hero. The world needs more Hamish Carters. Why can't more people see that success is a gift that is meant to be shared?

So the rest of the day went by in a blur for the girls. Kids came up to them and kept telling them how lucky they were... but there were also kids who told Channy that she wasn't THAT special and she was a show off! Kids can be SO nasty when one stands out from the rest.

I told Chantelle that now if any kids are mean to her or try to pick on her she can say, "I don't care what you say because Hamish Carter thinks I'm amazing."

What a blessing.

Come on... tell me this kid isn't a natural star herself? Here we are putting pink highlights through her hair! They suited her beautifully.

**btw, the bike is WAY too big for Chantelle so she is letting me ride it. Everyone in the family got new bikes last year - except for ME! I've been riding a piece of crap so maybe now I'll lose a little weight with the incentive of a nice smooth ride.

4 comments:

Monica said...

Unbelievable!

Okay, the fact that Hamish Carter would take the time to come to Chantelle's school... uh, FLY there instead using the very understandable excuse of being at such a distance... and then bring oodles of gifts? Unbelievable.

Every day, I like to have a hero. Today, Hamish Carter, you're the man.

Anonymous said...

must check YMJpGuxp [URL=http://www.replica-handbags2013.com/]fake designer handbags[/URL] online jmxUyXjI [URL=http://www.replica-handbags2013.com/ ] http://www.replica-handbags2013.com/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

buy best sHZtpKYv [URL=http://www.louis--vuitton--online--shop.org/]louis vuitton outlet online[/URL] , just clicks away kbbBmHsk [URL=http://www.louis--vuitton--online--shop.org/ ] http://www.louis--vuitton--online--shop.org/ [/URL]

Anonymous said...

check this link, vwsoEFhZ [URL=http://www.uggs-outlet2013.com/]uggs outlet stores[/URL] online shopping fnLmylAl [URL=http://www.uggs-outlet2013.com/ ] http://www.uggs-outlet2013.com/ [/URL]